FOP Lodge 34 is now accepting applications for the 2024 scholarships. All applicants should complete the application below and submit it following all guidelines.
Sidney Schlachman was a founding partner of Schlachman, Belsky, Weiner & Davey, P.A. Sidney practiced with the firm from its inception in 1972 until he passed away at the age of 91 on January 26, 2018.
Sidney was widely known as a consummate professional and as such, was well-respected and liked by his family, friends, peers and clients. Sidney was born on August 14, 1927. After serving in the Army, Sidney attended law school at night at the University of Baltimore School of Law and worked at a clothing store during the day to support his family. He obtained his law degree in 1951.
In 1964, Sidney incorporated the first Fraternal Order of Police in Baltimore city, followed by incorporating the state FOP. He went on to represent 25 unions. Sidney practiced before the Workers’ Compensation Commission, handling cases for police officers, General Motors employees and many others during his career. He practiced in all the district and circuit courts in the State,
and appeared before the United States Supreme Court in his early career.
Upon his death, the Baltimore County Fraternal Order of Police stated, “Sidney was a true friend who stood strong with many of us in the Fraternal Order of Police. He was instrumental in the formation of the Fraternal Order of Police and the Maryland State Lodge.”
Sidney was a great man who regularly attended Lodge 34 general membership meetings. Personally helped with the negotiations and acquisition of the contract for the cell tower on our property which we will financially benefit for years to come.
He will always be remembered.
This scholarship is to acknowledge and reward one member of the F.O.P Lodge 34 or a graduating high school senior dependent of a member in the lodge. The member or graduating senior should be one who selflessly gives their time, energy and support to ensure the success of their profession or their school. A scholarship will be given to a member or a dependent of a member (child or grandchild). The dependent must be a graduating senior in 2024. The qualifications for this scholarship are as follows:
ELIGIBILITY AND CRITERIA:
- (MEMBER) Must be a member in good standing with the F.O.P. Lodge 34 Maryland Transportation Authority Police.
- (MEMBER) Must demonstrate a strong work ethic and personal character and prove that he/she has been a committed, supportive and selfless teammate.
- (MEMBER) Must demonstrate his/her particular qualifications for this award.
- (MEMBER) Must provide a written essay.
- (DEPENDANT OF MEMBER) Must be a graduating senior.
- (DEPENDANT OF MEMBER) Must have a minimum GPA of 2.0.
- (DEPENDANT OF MEMBER) Must be a dependent (child or grandchild) of a member of the F.O.P. Lodge 34 Maryland Transportation Authority Police.
- (DEPENDANT OF MEMBER) Must provide proof of relationship to member of F.O.P. Lodge 34 Maryland Transportation Authority Police. (Eligibility is void without this information).
- (DEPENDANT OF MEMBER) Must provide a recommendation by a member of faculty or an academic source such as a coach, or guidance counselor, teacher, etc. (cannot be related to the applicant).
APPLICATION AND SUBMISSION PROCESS:
1. Complete the online application. (Scholarship applicants should create an account and use their Last Name as the 'Name of Organization')
2. Write an essay: (up to 500 words) that tells why you think you should receive this scholarship – A brief description of your encouragement/motivation of others, indicate work ethic, character, and demonstrated perseverance and tenacity on and off the athletic field. Please indicate any additional information that you think is important for the Scholarship Selection Committee to know.
3. Request and receive a recommendation from an individual unrelated to you who can speak directly to your character, team involvement, professional involvement and why you are uniquely qualified to receive this award. (must be a coach, colleague, guidance counselor, teacher, etc.)
4. (DEPENDANT OF MEMBER) Request a copy of your high school transcript(s) and attach it to your application where indicated.
5. Provide verification of good standing as a member of F.O.P. Lodge 34 Maryland Transportation Authority Police. (If dependent, please provide verification for member)